Want To Read

Custom Search

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Books From 2011

★ ★ ★ The Family Man -Michael S Patterson
Would make a great movie, but the characters in the book weren't developed enough for print. Ending felt rushed.

★ ★ ★ Take Joy: A Book For Writers -Jane Yolen
Some really good information. My instructor recommended it and it was definitely a good read.

★ ★ ★ ★ This Is Not The Story You Think It Is -Laura Munson
This book really hit home for me and has been an inspiration. I borrowed it from the library but immediately had to buy it so I could mark it up with notes.

★ ★ ★ Me Talk Pretty One Day -David Sedaris
This is the first Sedaris I have actually read as all the other books have been audio versions. It was a lot of fun, but I think I like the way David reads his stories more.

★ ★ ★ Idiot Girls' Action Adventure Club -Laurie Notaro
I liked it, she had some really funny parts, but the character itself (which I am sure is an exaggerated version of herself) grossed me out in parts with all the smoking...but that is just me.

★ ★ ★ Divorced, Desperate and Delicious -Christie Craig
Chic lit through and through....a bit more romance novel than my normal tastes.

★ ★ ★ In The Breeze of Passing Things -Nicole Louise Reid
Interesting plot but the author seemed to rehash the repeat things and ideas too much,...found myself skimmming the last 30 pages just to see how it turned out.

★ ★ ★ The Abbey -Chris Culver
Pretty good plot, a little rushed at the end. Characters were decent.

★ ★ ★ Gotcha! -Christie Craig
Not as good as I thought it was going to be. Stephanie Plum books are much better. Didn't really need the graphic sex, I would just read a professed romance novel if that was what I was looking for. I liked the story line, other than that...definitely chick lit and a fast read.

★ ★ ★ Bake Sale Murder -Leslie Meier
Fast read, quick mystery. Not very deep.

★ ★ ★ This Pen For Hire -Laura Levine
Ditto on the quick mystery, fast read, not very deep.

★ ★ ★ Forever Neverland -Heather Killough-Walden
Interesting take...however I felt like it was a bit overdone...I am interested in reading the next installment to see how it goes...

★ ★ ★ ★ Smoking Seventeen -Janet Evanovich
I always enjoy her Stephanie Plum books...this one was a lot of fun too...unfortunately, I just read them too quickly and then have to wait forever for the next one.

★ ★ ★ 17 Day Diet -Mike Moreno
Good advice so far...let's see if it works...

★ ★ ★ Until Proven Guilty -J.A. Jance
Definitely enjoyed the story and characters, hope to read more.

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ The Help -Kathryn Stockett
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The characters were believable and reliable. I hope that the movie does it justice. I highly recommend it.

★ ★ ★ ★ Squirrel Seeks Chipmunk -David Sedaris
Fun listen (I didn't read this one but listened to it in the car). I love his stuff and this one was not a disappointment. He has a great imagination and way of looking at the world that just gives me the giggles.

★ ★ ★ Can You Keep A Secret? -Sophie Kinsella
Quick funny read...

★ ★ ★ The Story Sisters -Alice Hoffman
I love her writing but this book was another of her dark ones...

★ ★ ★ A Dozen Deadly Roses -Kathy Bennett
Fun quick read....nothing too deep and parts of it were totally predictable...

★ ★ ★ ★ Mile 81 -Stephen King
Great short story!

★ ★ ★ Comfort and Joy: A Novel -India Knight
Was a quick fun read. Not deep. I don't know if I will seek out more from this author or not...

★ ★ ★ Rumour Has It -Jill Mansell
It was a fun little read...nothing too deep but a quick easy read for traveling.

★ ★ ★ Ties That Bind -Heather Huffman
Quick read on the Nook...enjoyed it.

★ ★ ★ One Day -David Nicholls
Enjoyed this book and am looking forward to seeing the movie and if my imagination links up. The characters were interesting but it was hard to see all the near misses they had. So much wasted time and definitely reaffirms my belief that life is short.

★ ★ ★ ★ 2011 Children's Writer's and Illustrator's Market -Alice Pope
Absolutely terrific reference for anyone interested in publishing in the children's book market.

★ ★ ★ Beach Street Knitting Society and Yarn Club -Gil McNeil
It was a quick read, but the ending felt rushed.

★ ★ ★ ★ 11/22/63 -Stephen King
It was pretty good. He did a good job of drawing you into the characters and it would definitely appeal to a reader that didn't even know anything about the subject matter. King managed to not mess up the genre, cause I usually have an issue or two that creeps up...

These are the books I read the first half of the year. I was in class during this time studying about writing for children, so there are a lot of books here from my research for class. I am not going to do the linking and reviews for any of them except for those ranking 4 stars or better (mostly because there are just so many of them).

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ Witch of Hebron -James Howard Kuntsler
Enjoyed this one as much as the first one...hope the author is planning to write more because I want to know what happens next. These would be great movies!!

★ ★ ★ ★ ★ A World Made By Hand -James Howard Kuntsler
Great book...highly recommend it and its sequel. The characters and plot are terrific.

★ ★ ★ Up From The Blue -Susan Henderson
Enjoyed this one but it was not "up" from the blue...kind of sad but still very interesting and I was into the characters in no time at all.

★ ★ In This Way, I Was Saved -Brian Deeleuw
Liked the story but never felt like the author answered the final question...

★ ★ ★ Learning to Breathe -Alison Wright
Good characters, and interesting look at life and what we learn from it. Almost too much "romance" for me but I liked the other life lesson and plot ideas.

★ ★ ★ The Welsh Girl -Peter Ho Davies
Ending was missing something...felt like the author didn't know how to get from the second to last chapter to last and so it didn't flow.

★ ★ ★ ★ An Architectural Guidebook to Portland -Bart King
Great book that includes a lot of history of the city of Portland.

★ ★ ★ The Hunger Games -Suzanne Collins
Thought this was a pretty good read and am looking forward to the next two books. Would make great movies!!

★ ★ Ice T, A Memoir -Ice T
It was okay...not as good as I was hoping it would be...

★ ★ ★ ★ Catching Fire -Suzanne Collins
Great second book in the series

★ ★ ★ ★ MockingJay -Suzanne Collins
Third book in the series and can't wait to see the movies!

★ ★ Counting Birds -Alice Melvin

★ ★ Rollover A Counting Song -Merle Peek

★ ★ Millions to Measure -David Schwartz

★ ★ ★ Fall Leaves -Don Curry

★ ★ Bang -Norah McClintock

★ ★ Snitch -Norah McClintock

★ ★ The Trouble with Chickens -Doreen Cronin

★ ★ Duck, Duck, Goose -Kirsten Hall

★ ★ Grandma's House -Kirsten Hall

★ ★ ★ Moby Dick -Herman Melville (Graphic Novel retold by Sophie Furse)

★ ★ ★ Tale of Squirrel Nutkin -Beatrice Potter

★ ★ ★ Tale of Benjamin Bunny -Beatrice Potter

★ ★ ★ Tale of Peter Rabbit -Beatrice Potter

★ ★ Lost -Jacqueline Davies

★ ★ The Face on the Milk Carton -Caroline B Cooney

★ ★ ★ The Best Story -Eileen Spinelli

★ ★ ★ ★ The Mixed Up Chameleon -Eric Carle
Great book...love his illustration style

★ ★ Lots of Spots -Lois Ehlert

★ ★ ★ The Very Lonely Firefly -Eric Carle

★ ★ I Wonder Why Lemons Taste Sour -Deborah Chancellor

★ ★ ★ ★ The Truth About Poop -Susan E Goodman
Great book...highly recommend!!

★ ★ Giant Pandas -Gail Gibbons

★ ★ Coral Reefs -Gail Gibbons

★ ★ This is the reef -Miriam Moss

★ ★ Come to the Ocean's Edge -Laurence P Pringle

★ ★ The Seaside Switch -Kathleen V Kudlinski

★ ★ The Artbox -Gail Gibbons

★ ★ Frogs -Gail Gibbons

★ ★ Snakes -Gail Gibbons

★ ★ ★ Someday When My Cat Can Talk -Caroline Lazo

★ ★ ★ Rotten Richie and the Ultimate Dare -Patricia Polacco

★ ★ ★ Ernest, the Moose Who Doesn't Fit -Catherine Raynor

★ ★ Tweedle-Dee-Dee -Charlotte Voake

★ ★ The Busy Little Squirrel -Nancy Tafuri

★ ★ ★ The Honeybee Man -Lela Nargi

★ ★ Yes We Can -Sam McBratney

★ ★ ★ The Wild Washerwoman -John Yeomen and Quentin Blake

★ ★ ★ ★ The Boy Who Drew Cats -Margaret Hodges
Great story and illustrations, highly recommend...

★ ★ ★ There - Marie-Louise Fitzpatrick

★ ★ ★ Nini Lost and Found -Anita Nobel

★ ★ ★ Doug Dennis and the Fly Away Fib -Darren Farrell

★ ★ Tough Chicks -Cece Meng

★ ★ ★ Three Black Swans -Caroline B Cooney

★ ★ ★ A Day With No Crayons - Elizabeth Rusch

★ ★ ★ Pebble: A Story About Belonging -Susan Milord

★ ★ ★ ★ Mudkin -Stephen Gammell
Great illustrations tell the story with hardly any words...

★ ★ ★ ★ Henry The Dog With No Tail -Kate Feiffer
Loved the moral behind this one. Illustrations and story were great!

No comments: