Want To Read

Custom Search

Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Books From 2008

This post just recaps my leisure and required reading from 2008.

Every Boy's Got One - Meg Cabot
Quick fun read...not deep but fun.

★ ★ Two Little Girls in Blue - Mary Higgins Clark
First read of this author. I enjoyed it, and will probably hunt out some more of her stuff. Recommend if you like the mystery.

Shoes to Die For - Laura Levine
Fun quick read as well. Not the greatest plot but still enjoyable.

★ ★Body Surfing - Anita Shreve
Always enjoy Anita's stuff even if it is catagorized at Chick Lit. This one was not as sad as some have been even though I thought it might be when I first started it. Would recommend.

The Mortician's Daughter - Elizabeth Bloom
Decent little murder mystery. Plot okay, and kept me interested.

★ ★ ★ Reading Lolita in Tehran - Azar Nafisi
This book was good. I didn't know all the books the author was referencing so I did get a bit lost in parts but I was intrigued to read about the everyday life of these women.

The Fifth Victim - Beverly Barton
Interesting mystery but sometimes a bit too much like a romance novel for my taste.

Coyote Dream - Jessica Davis Stein
Definitely falls into the chic lit catagory but a fun read nonetheless.

★ ★ ★Obsession - Jonathan Kellerman
Always love the Alex Delaware stories...great read.

★ ★ ★ ★Duma Key - Stephen King
Fabulous!!! I wish it wouldn't end. Didn't last nearly long enough. Highly recommend.

★ ★ ★The Stone Diaries - Carol Shields
Definitely an interesting story and look in the past US. Had this on my list for some time and am glad I finally read it. Definitely recommend.


★ ★ ★ The Secret Life of Bees - Sue Monk Kid
Highly recommend this one. Loved it.

★ ★ ★A Tree Grows in Brooklyn - Betty Smith
This has turned out to be a great book. I highly recommend it.

Big Boned - Meg Cabot
Fun quick fluff read.

★ ★ Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold
Very interesting story. Definitely a new perspective.

Sleeping with Ward Cleaver - Jenny Gardiner
Another fluff read. Way more romance that I would prefer. Typical chick lit I guess.

★ ★ Friday Night Knitting Club - Kate Jacobs
Decent story. One reviewer called it a Steel Magnolias set in Manhattan that is very accurate. Would recommend.

★ ★ Book of the Dead - Patricia Cornwell
Another great Kay Scarpetta book. I love them, however there is always so much time in between, I tend to lose the backstory. I would recommend this one.

My Best Friend's Girl - Dorothy Koomson
Enjoyed the read. Interesting plot idea.

Wife Goes On - Leslie Lehr
Quick read....got a bit tired of the stereotypes though.

★ ★ The Last Summer (of You and Me) - Ann Brashares
I actually really enjoyed this book. I kept waiting for more to happen but then ended up liking it just the way it was. Would definitely recommend.

If I Am Missing or Dead - Janine Latus
True story...sad but a great read.


The Overlook - Michael Connelly
This was a first for this author for me and I really liked the character even if it was a bit stereotyped. I will probably read more of this character if not others in the future.

★ ★ ★ ★Tuesdays with Morrie - MItch Albom
This is also another first for me with this author. I wanted to read another one but thought I better read this one first. THIS IS A GREAT BOOK!!! I highly recommend it. My favorite for the year definitely and I can't believe I didn't read it sooner. Just what I needed right now too.

★ ★ ★ ★Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Albom
Another GREAT book. I need to see the movie and see if they pulled it of. Highly recommend.

What the Dead Know - Laura Lippman
Another interesting mystery. A decent read but not my favorite.

★ ★ The Unquiet - John Connelly
Enjoyed this book. Will probably look for others with the same main character if there are more.

Dream When You're Feeling Blue - Elizabeth Berg
I enjoyed this one too....it was a bit depressing in parts but it was an interesting look back in time and into the minds of people going through WWII

★ ★ ★ ★ A Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini
FABULOUS BOOK!!!! I thoroughly enjoyed this one. This guy is a great write and just takes you inside the characters so well that you feel like you living every minute with them. I HIGHLY recommend this book!!!!

★ ★ Nineteen Minutes - Jodi Picoult
Really enjoyed this story. The insight to all sides of this story was very interesting and kept me reading long after I was too tired to continue. I recommend this one for sure.

Otherwise Engaged - Suzanne Finnamore
Picked this one up because I knew I was going to be done with all the other books I had brought with me, and I was disappointed. It was definitely a fluff read...fast but not really that entertaining. The main character actually made me hate her mostly....

★ ★Riding Lessons - Sara Gruen
The best of the three books I read this month. Not as good as Water For Elephants but still a good read.

Project Jennifer - Jill Amy Rosenblatt
Not a great book but a fast read that was amusing at times.

The View From Mount Joy - Lorna Landvik
An interesting but unmemorable read. It left me feeling a bit unfinished.

Going Down South - Bonnie Glover
I enjoyed this read even though it was pretty predictable.

★ ★ ★Twilight - Stephanie Meyer
So much fun to read....definitely recommend. It definitely takes you back.

★ ★ ★New Moon - Stephanie Meyer
I didn't like this one as much as the first but I think it was still good. I think the first grabbed me more on an emotional level...reliving that high school crush on the "bad boy" feelings.

No comments: