Want To Read

Custom Search

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Books From 2009-2010

Since I have mostly been updating my reading on Visual Bookshelf inside of Facebook, I have been very lazy about updating here. So I am doing a two year list I am not sure which books were at the end of 2009 and which were solely in 2010 (Visual Bookshelf doesn't keep track of the date you marked the book as "read").

★ ★ ★ Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - Stieg Larsson
Loved this whole series, great characters and stories. Definitely recommend.

★ ★ ★ The Girl Who Played With Fire - Stieg Larsson
Loved this whole series, great characters and stories. Definitely recommend.

★ ★ ★ The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo - Stieg Larsson
Loved this whole series, great characters and stories. Definitely recommend.

That Old Cape Magic -Richard Russo
Didn't like this one much. Plot and characters were kind of blah.

★ ★ The Daily Coyote - Shreve Stockton
Read this one on recommendation from my sis. Really enjoyed the story and experience. Would recommend.

Pretending To Be Normal - Liane Holliday Willey
More for research rather than leisure. Interesting read.

My Abandonment - Peter Rock
Enjoyed this book but was disappointed that it is not based in fact like I was lead to believe.

★ ★ ★ ★ The Street of a Thousand Blossoms - Gail Tsukiyama
Loved this book...highly recommend it. What a great story

The Accidental Bestseller - Wendy Wax
Basically a quick read...interesting idea but not that great of a book.

Consider Lily - Anne Dayton
Basically a quick read...nothing to write home about.

The Last Time I Saw You - Elizabeth Berg
Basically a quick read...nothing to write home about.

★ ★ Imperfect Birds - Anne Lamott
Enjoyed this one, made raising a kid kind of scary though.

Shadow Tag - Louise Erdrich
This book was disturbing, didn't like much.

★ ★ ★ Deception: Alex Delaware - Jonathan Kellerman
Big fan of the Alex Delaware stories...definitely recommend.

★ ★ ★ Sizzling Sixteen - Janet Evanovich
Big fan of the the Stephanie Plum books...definitely recommend.

★ ★ ★ ★ Blockade Billy - Stephen King
Favorite author, always love his stuff...highly recommend.

Digital Fortress - Dan Brown
Okay...not great.

★ ★ ★ Handle With Care - Jodi Picoult
Pretty good read, but a hard one. Definitely recommend.

★ ★ Polite Lies - Kyoko Mori
Interesting read. Some good insight.

★ ★ Things I Want My Daughters to Know - Elizabeth Noble
Sad but a decent read. Would recommend.

★ ★ ★ Cutting for Stone - Abraham Verghese
Really liked this one. Great characters and story. Highly recommend.

Certain Girls - Jennifer Weiner
Typical chick lit..fast read but not very deep.

★ ★ Twenties Girl - Sophie Kinsella
Kind of liked this story..different from some of the others I have read. Would recommend.

★ ★ 27 Bones - Jonathan Nasaw
Creepy, weird characters but interesting plot.

★ ★ The Second Time Around - Mary Higgins Clark
Decent mystery like most of her stories are.

Hunting and Gathering - Anna Galvalda
Strange story...didn't get the characters as much as I would have liked.

★ ★ ★ ★ Under the Dome - Stephen King
Loved, loved, loved it!!!

★ ★ Come Back - Claire Fontaine
Sad story to read but eye opening.

★ ★ Out Stealing Horses - Per Petterson
Took a bit to get into it but ended up being a great story. Would recommend.

Saving Sammy - Beth Alison Maloney
Interesting story and theory.

Lone Survivor - Marcus Luttrell
Didn't like this one...too biased.

Bodies Left Behind - Jeffery Deaver
Decent plot but characters were a bit hard to get into.

There Goes the Bride - M.C. Beaton
Chick lit mystery...not that great.

★ ★ Number the Stars - Lois Lowry
Tough read for a children's book.

★ ★ My Enemy's Cradle - Sara Young
Another good but tough read.

★ ★ The Weight of Silence - Heather Gudenkauf
Nice little mystery.

★ ★ ★ The Art of Racing in the Rain - Garth Stein
Loved this book...great read but sad too. Highly recommend.

★ ★ The Thin Man - Dashiell Hammett
Great read!!

★ ★ ★ Columbine - Dave Cullen
Great insight, highly recommend.

★ ★ Almost Moon - Alice Sebold
Interesting story, characters were great.

Lost and Found - Carolyn Parkhurst
Not one of my favorites.

No 1 Ladies Detective Agency - Alexander McCall Smith
Cute mystery but not my favorite

★ ★ Bangkok 8 - John Burdett
Enjoyed the story, characters and perspective. Good read

★ ★ Out: A Novel - Natsuo Kirino
Great mystery...enjoyed this one.

Unaccustomed Earth - Jhumpa Lahira
Enjoyed the short stories.

★ ★ ★ ★ Scarpetta - Patricia Cornwell
Love all the Scarpetta stories, definitely recommend!!

★ ★ ★ ★ Just After Sunset - Stephen King
Fav author, loved it, definitely recommend!!

★ ★ ★ Compulsion - Jonathan Kellerman
Always enjoy the Delaware stories, definitely recommend.

★ ★ ★ Plum Spooky - Janet Evanovich
Love Stephanie Plum.

★ ★ ★ Fearless Fourteen - Janet Evanovich
Love Stephanie Plum.

★ ★ The Confessions of Max Tivoli - Andrew Sean Greer
Found this to be an interesting idea. Well done, would recommend.

★ ★ ★ Still Alice - Lisa Genova
This was a sad but terrific book. Highly recommend!!

★ ★ Midnight at the Dragon Cafe - Judy Fong Bates
This was a great book. Loved the characters and the plot. Would recommend.

★ ★ ★ The Green Glass Sea - Ellen Klag
Great story with some history that I didn't know. Definitely recommend.

★ ★ ★ Day After Night - Anita Diamant
Historical fiction brought this one to life for me. Highly recommend.

★ ★ ★ Her Fearful Symmetry - Audrey Niffenegger
The author didn't disappoint. Her previous book was one of my alltime favorites. This story was interesting if not a bit sad.

★ ★ ★ ★ Full Dark, No Stars - Stephen King
As always Mr King doesn't leave me hanging. Loved it!!!

★ ★ ★ The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
A great book. Highly recommend. Fantastic characters and plot.

The Uglified Duckling - Willy Claflin
Cute book. Read it for my research into writing a children's book.

Tuko and the Birds - Shirley Climo
Cute book. Read it for my research into writing a children's book.

A Kitten Tale - Eric Rohmann
Cute book. Read it for my research into writing a children's book.

The Rabbit and the Turtle/Aesop's Fables - Eric Carle
Cute book. Read it for my research into writing a children's book.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I love all of Patricia Cornwell's earlier Scarpetta novels, but I hated when she switched to the 3rd person point of view from 1st with Kay. I just couldn't get over it, and even though I continue to read her Scarpetta books, I force my way through them now. I can't remember if I've read Scarpetta or not, though.

I also really enjoy the Stephanie Plum books, and I almost bought the 15th one, but I read reviews that were not very flattering of it. I'm going to wait until it gets to the library, so I'm not spending the money on it. :-)

Mind Sprite said...

I haven't read the Twilight series. I think it's one of those situations where the hype has sort of ruined it for me. Then again, many people said that about Harry Potter and I loved them all.

If you haven't checked out www.goodreads.com, I highly recommend it. I find it helpful to keep track of books I hear about that I want to read and to look at people's reviews of things if I want to get an idea of how a book is going over. I also like seeing what my friends are reading and get some good suggestions that way :)