Want To Read

Custom Search

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Books from 2013


★ ★ ★ Along Came A Spider -James Patterson
I hate to say this, but I liked the movie more. Because I have read some of the older Cross books before this one, I find I like them better. Maybe it is the development of the character or something. I didn't like that Nana Mama seems to be a racist in this first book but that is just me.

★ ★ ★ ★ Kiss The Girls -James Patterson
Totally enjoyed this one...so different from the movie, it is amazing but still like both mediums.

★ ★ ★ ★ Takedown Twenty -Janet Evanovich
Once again Stephanie Plum is fun...too bad these books never last me more than a day or two. She is still just as indecisive as ever, and stumbling into troubles. I do hope they continue to make movies from these books...that would be fun.

★ ★ ★ ★ Bones -Jonathan Kellerman
This was an interesting story...kept you guessing to the end and I liked how he finished up by filling us in a bit on how things turned out.

★ ★ ★ The Big Bad Wolf -James Patterson
This one doesn't get as many stars for me...partly because I didn't like some aspects of the plot, and the ending felt a bit forced. I am not reading these completely in order so that might be part of it.

★ ★ ★ ★ The Murder Book -Jonathan Kellerman
This was a pretty good story....since I read one ahead of this while waiting for this one to be available, I was glad to get some info on the Robin issue and this plot was just pretty tense and intriguing!!

★ ★ ★ ★ Wild: From Lost to Found on PCT -Cheryl Strayed
I actually got into this book more than I thought. It was a really quick read.

★ ★ ★ Rage -Jonathan Kellerman
I loved this one up to the end...where it felt completely forced and untidy...

★ ★ ★ Dr Death -Jonathan Kellerman
I enjoyed this earlier one as well. Like how he tied things up at the end after the case was over.

★ ★ ★ ★  Jack and Jill -James Patterson
Really enjoyed this Alex Cross book...really makes me want to watch all the movies too.

★ ★ ★  Slide -Jill Hathaway
I liked this one. It was definitely young adult so none of it felt very deep but I liked the characters, and the story line was interesting. I felt like the author explained the same thing over and over a few times and that was a bit irritating.

★ ★ ★  Flesh and Blood -Jonathan Kellerman
This wasn't one of my favs...I felt like Alex was spending the whole time trying to convince Milo of farfetched ideas...and I really didn't like the conflict with Robin....but I guess even the love life needs an arc.

★ ★ ★ ★ Therapy -Jonathan Kellerman
I liked this story quite a bit, things were tied up neatly at the end and the twists in it kept the plot mysterious!

★ ★ ★ ★ Survival Of The Fittest -Jonathan Kellerman
Liked this story...was kind of cool how they brought in the new characters and at the same time totally put Alex in danger.

★ ★ ★ ★ Monster -Jonathan Kellerman
Enjoyed this earlier book...storyline was compelling and felt like it wrapped up nicely at the end.

★ ★ ★ The Clinic -Jonathan Kellerman
Enjoyed getting back to Alex's stories. This one flowed nicely but felt a bit weird at the end, like he felt like he had to tie up all the loose ends...

★ ★ ★ ★ Guilt -Jonathan Kellerman
This is the most recent of the Alex Delaware stories, so it took a bit for me to get with the story because I have been catching up on history reading the earlier ones lately. It was still a great read. Enjoyed the plot, loved the characters as always, and loved that the ending wasn't completely predictable. Would definitely recommend.

★ ★ ★ ★ Violets Are Blue -James Patterson
I enjoyed this one too. Love the short chapter writing style although it makes it hard to put the book down. Really liked the double storyline in this one as well...scary!

★ ★ ★  Flesh and Bone -Jefferson Bass
I thought this was a pretty good read! Story was good, characters were believable, and it kept moving in a good direction. Got this one from B and N for the Noook for cheap but haven't read the first book yet...will look for it through the library perhaps.

★ ★ ★ ★  Four Blind Mice -James Patterson
Started and finished this one today...5 hours pretty much straight through. Fun, fast read and his short chapters just suck you into "just one more chapter"...over and over again.

★ ★ ★ Throttle -Joe Hill, Stephen King
Finished this one up last night. Have read a lot of short stories, and found that this one had merit but was lacking in a few areas. The plot felt a little bit rushed. The character development could have been better. It almost felt like they determined that it was only going to be 35 pages and then tried to make the story fit that. Stephen King is one of my favorite authors so I was a little surprised that I didn't like this one more.

★ ★ ★  A Single Thread -Marie Bostwick
This was a pretty quick read. I liked how we went back and forth with the characters. I thought it was an interesting plot twist to add breast cancer survival.

★ ★ ★ ★ Cross -James Patterson
First of the Alex Cross books I have read and really enjoyed it...think I will stick to this character for the time being.

★ ★ ★ ★ The Bricklayer -Noah Boyd
Actually really liked this quick mystery read...the plot wasn't predictable, the characters were believable, and the story sucked you and kept you there. Definitely recommend.

★ ★ ★ Trail Of Blood -Lisa Black
Enjoyed this read...was a discount purchase from B and N for the Nook. Plot was good, and so were the characters. Liked how they moved between present and past.

★ ★ ★ Death Of A Kitchen Diva -Lee Hollis
Quick little cheap read...it was funny and amusing...nothing deep.

★ ★ Shattered -Elizabeth Lee
I didn't really like this book but I lack the ability to not finish a book so I did. It is definitely young adult romance...not my kind of thing.

★ ★ ★ Indelible -Karin Slaughter
I enjoyed this read...liked the format of going back and forth in time. Didn't like that it felt one aspect wasn't closed, but you can't always get everything you expect from a plot. I would be interested in reading more from this series.


★ ★ ★ ★ Drinking Closer To Home -Jessica Anya Blau
I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. It was on the ebook sale rack so I got it for 2.99 or less and I totally got into the characters and the plot pretty fast. I definitely recommend this one.

★ ★ ★ The Web -Jonathan Kellerman
This one was better than I thought it was going to be from reading the reviews. Missed the Milo/Alex connection for sure but it was still a decent story.

★ ★ ★ ★ Notorious Nineteen -Janet Evanovich
I always love me some Stephanie Plum...this one was pretty good. Not as much interaction with some of the other characters and it felt like the styling in the plot changed a bit...not sure if that is a permanent change or not. Still highly recommend this series...lots of fun and goes by way too fast.

★ ★ ★ Life Of Pi -Yann Martel
It wasn't as good as I hoped it would be, but I am looking forward to seeing the movie. I found myself skipping over a lot of the "wordy" sections and I hate when that happens.

★ ★ ★ ★ O Is For Outlaw -Sue Grafton
This one was great. I loved that she went back and filled in the back story of Michael. It was a great way to fill in some of the blanks.

★ ★ ★ ★K Is For Killer -Sue Grafton
Really enjoyed this one...sad to think that I only have one more before I am caught up on the series...

★ ★ ★ What Color Is Your Parachute? -Mark Emery Bolles

★ ★ ★ Self Defense -Jonathan Kellerman
This one wasn't one of my favorites...it was a little out there. Not as much Milo and Alex interaction and I missed that.

★ ★ ★ Bad Love -Jonathan Kellerman
This was another decent early book in the series...it was pretty suspenseful and twisty!

★ ★ ★ I Is For Innocent -Sue Grafton
This one was pretty good...although the ending felt rushed for me.

★ ★ ★ G Is For Gumshoe -Sue Grafton
This one was quite suspenseful...having a hit man chasing Kinsey the whole time added a new twist to the mystery.

★ ★ ★ ★ H Is For Homicide -Sue Grafton
This one was pretty good. Kind of a different take on this series, but I still enjoyed it and once again, it was hard to figure out exactly what was going on til the end. I did feel a bit anxious about the situation that Kinsey put herself in.

★ ★ ★ Devil's Waltz -Jonathan Kellerman
Decent book from the beginning of the series but got a bit convoluted for me eventually and I was kind of looking forward to it ending...sad, because I love this series.

No comments: